Monday, April 25, 2011

April 25: Honor your Domestic Goddess.

Do you rock an apron? I do. (I hear the snickering, and if you are Viv and Sarah, you have caught me in my apron, and curlers, pregnant....barefoot, flour everywhere....talk about mommyhood!)

In fact, I would wear an apron everyday if I could....it's so handy, all those roomy pockets, waiting to be filled with iPhones, found batteries, pens, pencils, binkies...it's like walking around with a diaper-bag all the time....that's wayyyy cuter. When I put my apron on, it's like preparing for battle, the necessary armor that gives me that extra blanket of security as I'm about to step into the heat of the kitchen (or craft room/table). Something about tying those wraps around your waist is so empowering - a modern-woman's tool-belt. Seriously, though. I know some of you are thinking I've lost my mind, I'm just going old-school and all, but please, just try it. See if it doesn't stir up some memories of your grandma, whipping up a batch of cookies (from scratch, with a KitchenAid)...there is nothing better than that!

Right now, my Apron collection is a little wanton. I have one in denim that I found at the thrift store, and one other one I bought in Hawaii, both of them have served me well, but I think it's time to amp it up a bit. That's why I'm adding "sew an Apron" to my growing-by-the-day sewing list. I haven't decided what I want it to actually look like, but I do know the features I'd like to incorporate. Not sure if I'm going to use a pattern or not, it seems pretty straight-forward, and I want to keep a fairly simple design. If you have a good web-site, or any ideas, let me know!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE aprons too, and totally agree, love that feeling of tying up the straps... it is indeed empowering and does make me feel all old-school housewife-ish which I really enjoy! I might go and don my cute vintage apron right now... get that little bit of extra oomph I need to get this day started!:)Thanks! Lovely to visit from Home sanctuary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why more women don't embrace the house-wife mentality...really, being the keeper of the home and kitchen is honoring! Love, love, love aprons. I'll post pics once I have made one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a toolapron that I got at Lowes that I use when I clean the house. But since it is so boring I am considering making a new one. And then you have those that are made for sewing and crafting, I want one of those too. And a new one for cooking. My grandmother would always carry her knitting in the apron pocket and take it out and knit if she had a moment. I think I inherited something from her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Marianne - now THAT is a great idea, I didn't even think about carrying my crocheting projects with me! I too, need a half-apron...I'll put that on the "to sew" list, too!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome comments, encouragement & suggestions!