Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Casual Sewer, Part 1.

Sewing. One of the greatest lost arts of the proverbial "Domestic Goddess." Those that bind a seam, applique with ease, and know which way the bias is on any given fabric are slowly being replaced by the ease and cheapness of low-quality fabrics of a faded glory. You know what I'm talking about here.

In our efforts to "Go Green", I have taken it upon myself to invest a considerable amount of time that would be otherwise dedicated to my favorite online pastime of bejeweled and donate it to the careful, deliberate researching for the perfect cloth diaper. The do-it-yourself kind. Haven't found it yet, but tried to make my own template from a huggies diaper - didn't come out too bad, but not quite right. There was some debate about whether to sew the elastic in or make a casing and just sew the ends. The latter works better for me, in case you are wondering. It's a little more work, but well worth it in the end.

I have sewed 3 diapers so far - and only spent around $2 for the Velcro! That is a deal! I'm using old t-shirts and sweatshirts for the main diaper and a McCall's pattern I found at JoAnn's that was on sale for - $1.99!!! Woo-hoo. Do you know that patterns now cost around $15??? How crazy is that? The pattern works great, with some tweaking. The directions are lacking guidance, so I found some great sewing tutorials on youtube.

We are using gDiapers right now - and I love it - I just need to make some cloth inserts. We are using the flushable insert right now (which is much better for the environment, but not as friendly to your wallet!). I also picked up some cute fabric and elastic and I'm going to attempt to make my first "mock gdiaper", but I'm having some difficulty finding the snaps for the inserts. They only carry metal snap tape at JoAnn's...grrrr....

Anyway, I'll post some pics once I have some time...but, in the meantime, consider going cloth!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm also planning on trying a mock gdiaper, though I plan to replace the velcro with snaps as I think they launder better than velcro, and I've already got the snap setter and snaps.

    My question is - why not just use the metal snap tape from JoAnn? you only need a tiny bit for each corner of the diaper, and if you place them correctly, they don't have to be anywhere that they'll come into contact with baby's skin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to try to use the metal snaps! Did you try it?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome comments, encouragement & suggestions!